Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, December 17, 2012

When do you add the extra a when using sa? Ex: Sa or sa a se pou mwen.

You, actually, can have the "a" in front of "sa" when it acts as a demonstrative.
examples:

1. kay sa a this house
2. Bagay sa a se tèt chaje. → this  thing is a headache.
3. Mwen vle sa a. → I want this. / I want this one.
4. Ou mèt pran sa a. → you may take this one.
5. Sa a pa pou vann. → This is not for sale.
And here's one I heard recently thanks to the educator Rony Joseph
I truly forgot that people still talked like that:
6. Moun sa a yo pa gen kè. → These people don't have hearts.

Instances where you can't have this "a" are, for example, when "sa" means "what"
examples:

7. Sa w vle? (Kisa ou vle?) → What do you want.
8. Sa l genyen? → What's wrong with him?
9. Se sa mwen vle. → That's what I want.
10.  Sa sa a ye la? → What is this?
Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment