Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Premye so pa so - What is 'so'?

"Premye so pa so" is a proverb that says the first fall is no fall.
It means that Don't give up, keep trying.

So (n.) a bucket, a vessel, a pail
Li plen so a dlo.
He filled the bucket with water

So (n.) → a fall
Li pran yon so.
He took a fall.
He fell.

So (n.) → a seal
Bondye mete so l sou mwen.
God has put his seal on me.
God has chosen me.

Li mete so ofisyèl li a sou anvlòp la anvan l poste l.
He put his official seal on the envelop before mailing it.

So (n.) → a jump, a leap
L'ap pratike so wotè a pou jwèt olenpik la.
He's practicing the long jump for the olympic games.

So (adj.) → idiotic, stupid (You'll most likely hear Haitians use "so" to mean dumb or stupid in this French idiom:
Pa gen so metye.
There are no dumb careers. (lit.)

and then, there is SÒ, with the accent, which means FATE or SISTER FRIEND

sò → Fate, destiny, circumstance
M'ap plenyen sò mwen bay Bondye.
I'm protesting my circumstances to God (lit.)
I'm complaining to God about my misfortune.

sò → sister, comrade, companion, buddy (female)
Sò mwen, poukisa ou sanble kagou konsa?
My friend, why do you look so worn out?



Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. I actually had heard someone say -li te pran en bel so- which actually means HE TOOK A HARD FALL. interestingly enough the creole sentence says -He took a BEAUTIFUL fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! gotta love creol. there's this creol expression with the word "so". It says PI WO PRAN PI GWO SO. it means the higher you go the harder you fall.

      Delete