Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Bonjou! Kisa vle di 'mare lalo'? E èske w te ka tradwi fraz sa a pou mwen: 'Se yon ekritasyon kote chak mo chak silab ape chase kraze ansanm nan yon lese frape yon kont lòt, youn sou lòt k' ape rebondi nan yon dodinay lòmsanzo'? Kòm toujou, granmèsi!

mare lalo → (voodoo term) to get magical power or capability (from a voodoo entity) in order make things work in your favor.

The next sentence is a metaphor:
"Se yon ekritasyon kote chak mo chak silab ap chase (chache?) kraze ansanm nan yon lese frape youn kont lòt, youn sou lòt k'ape rebondi nan yon dodinay lòmsanzo"

I think it means "It's a writing where the words flow well together" or it can be the opposite.

If you read that sentence literally, it would say:
"It's a writing where each word each syllable is looking to collide together (bump / slam into each other) by pushing and shoving against one another, one on top of the other they're bouncing in a flexible swinging motion"

Please ell me what your take is on the literal meaning of that sentence :)

dodinayrocking, swinging (as with a rocking chair)
lese frapepushing and shoving
lòmsanzo(lit. man without bones) very flexible or malleable

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words


2 comments:

  1. I don't know. I am going to have to ponder on this one. These are the first few lines in an introduction to a Kreyòl poetry book. So maybe it's written at a level higher than I can handle at the moment. Maybe the author is creating a visual imagery of the interactions of the words with each other. That is my guess.

    I double checked the book and it is 'chase', not 'chache'. Does that change the meaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "chase..."?
      It doesn't change it that much.
      These are the types of sentences that I would have to read twice before I get what's being communicated :)

      Mwen ankouraje w pou w kontinye li l. Li sanble l byen enteresan.

      Delete