Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, June 17, 2013

Can you explain the rules for the mwen to m' contraction?

"MWEN" can be used as personal pronoun: I or ME
"MWEN" can be replaced with contraction "m".
example:
1. Mwen te wè li.
    or 
   M te wè li.
   I saw it.

2. Rele mwen lè w rive.
    or
    Rele m lè w rive.
    Call me when you arrive.

"MWEN" can be used as possessives: MY, MINE (singular or plural)
example
3. pitit mwen - my child
4. pitit mwen yo - my children
Do not use contraction after a word that end with a consonant.
The word "pitit" ends with "t" which is a consonant.  So you cannot say "pitit m".  You will always say "pitit mwen".

5. pye mwen or pye m - my foot
The word "pye" ends with a vowel "e" which is a vowel, so you can say "pye mwen" or "pye m"

6. kesyon mwen or kesyon m - my question
The word "kesyon" ends with a nasal vowel "on", so you can say "kesyon mwen" or "kesyon m"

Sometimes a definite article may come after MWEN:
7. kesyon mwen an or kesyon m nan. - my question
8. kesyon mwen yo or kesyon m yo - my questions

We do not use contractions after these prepositions POU, NAN, SOU at the end of a sentence:

9. Malèt la tonbe sou mwen.
   You cannot say
   Malèt la tonbe sou m.

10. Fè sa pou mwen tanpri.
      you cannot say
     Fè sa pou m tanpri

11. Lespri Bondye te desann sou mwen
     you cannot say
     Lespri Bondye te desann sou m.


Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment