Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Bonjou Mandaly! Quick question. Eske genyen moun ki di mo shobwa? Means root/tree stump in kreyol , but also refers to a relationship. My father and granma knew the meaning , but my mother was confused. I was told it was a saying moun andeyo di. Can I get some examples mesi anpil!


I am familiar with chouk bwa, souch bwa, or choukèt bwa which means tree stump.
It is very likely that 'cho bwa' is used in the outskirts of some regions of Haiti.

Chouk (souch, or choukèt) is a stump (of a tree, of a tooth); it is also the stub of a paper check …. yon souch chèk  a check stub

It can be used as a verb “chouke - to be planted, to be rooted

Example:
Lè madanm nan tande se zen k’ap bay anba tonèl la, li vin chouke kò l la, li pa janm deplase.

When the woman heard all the gossips spilled under the “straw” shed, she came and planted herself there and never moved.


byen kore, or byen chouke, or byen plante – firmly  rooted

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. Your amazing. How do you have time to answer so much quickly and accurately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I answer whenever I can :)

      Pase bon sware.

      Delete