Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Hello Mandaly, thank you so much for your extremely useful site! My question, I've seen "Labib" and "Bib la" used to mean Bible, even both in the same sentence, but I can't figure out why one or the other would be used. What is the difference between the two, and in what context would each be used?

Thanks :)
There's no preference. There's no difference. Whether you say 'labib' or 'bib', they will be both considered as noun, and will take an article, such as 'labib la' or 'bib la'.

Whenever you have these types of nouns, it does not do too much except to give you options. For example:

Pote lakwa w. or Pote kwa w - Carry your cross

lalwa Moyiz la or lwa Moyiz la - the law of Moses

Mwen pale verite. or Mwen pale laverite. - I speak the truth.

Mwen pase tout lajounen an avè l. or Mwen pase tout jounen an avè l. - I spent the whole day with him/her.

It's a matter of preference.




Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! But one thing, I feel like "yon labib" sounds incorrect compared to "yon bib". Do they both work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know it does. But both 'bib' and 'labib' works with 'yon' before them, though you may find that most people choose to say 'yon bib'.
      Dakò. Pase yon bon jounen. ... or should I say 'pase yon bon lajounen' :)

      Delete