Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Translate:Draw a picture" here or "My Artwork (I want to have the children draw a picture with crayons on the page)

Draw a picture here.
Trase yon desen la.

My artwork
Pyès travay mwen
Pyès travay atis mwen

My drawing
Desen mwen

Draw a picture with the crayon.
Trase yon desen avèk kreyon desen an.

Draw a picture on this page.
Trase yon desen sou paj sa.

Color your picture.
Kolore desen an.

This is a beautiful drawing.
Sa se yon bèl desen.

2 comments:

  1. Are "trase" and "desine" synonmys or is there a difference? I use the word "desine" all of the time in my work with children. Actually, I think one child did use the word trase and I said, "nou pap trase; nap desine", because I assumed (wrongly as usual) that trase would be to trace, and I was trying to encourage creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your use of "desine" for "creativity" is correct.

    I used the word "trase" in the translation to avoid using the word "desen" twice.

    I wrote: "Trase yon desen."
    Instead of: "Desine yon desen."

    Sort of like saying: "Sketch a drawing."
    Insead of: "Draw a drawing."

    "trase", in that sense, would mean "to draw or sketch". But I wouldn't say that it's a synonym of "desine".
    _______________
    When translating the sentence "Draw a picture.", if we want to avoid using the word "trase", we might say:

    1. Desine yon imaj. → Draw an image.

    2. Desine yon pòtre. → Draw a portrait.

    3. Fè yon desen. → Make a drawing.

    and even...

    4. Desine yon ilistrasyon. → Draw an illustration.

    Thanks for bringing my attention to this.
    Mèsil anpil e Gwo Kout Chapo!

    ReplyDelete