Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, February 22, 2013

I say 'kitchin' for kitchen and 'badoum or batoum' for bathroom. Are these words used by other Haitians alongside 'kwizin' and 'twalèt' respectively and are they part of the creole vocabulary?

That sounds like bad English to me.
What do you think?
Would a Haitian who's never travelled to the US, and who only had a primary education in an elementary school in the outskirts of ..... Trou du Nord (for example), understand this type of language clearly?

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. You're right it does. But I think those Haitians who do travel back and forth between the US and Haiti would probably incorporate English equivalents to their vocabulary. But, that is my own opinion. As far as those who have never traveled to the US or live in the rural area like Trou du Nord or Gros Morne, I think they would be able to understand the words if the people living in the area encounter someone passing through who has come from the States. It is somewhat highly unlikely to this incident to even occur but it's nice knowing that it is possible. My cousin once removed and my grandmother had told me that they used phrasal verbs 'pick up' and 'hang up' when they are having a conversation with other Haitians. Although they live in the city(Gonaives) and although my cousin have traveled to US many times and this long trip to the US would make twice for my grandmother, it still bears some evidence that there is a chance for those who never traveled to the US and who live in cities or in the outskirts can still be informed about the English borrowings because Haitians travel all the time locally of course. But you're right it would be improper creole rather than bad English. This is said in respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
      I'm pretty sure that's how words like "fè bak", "wikenn" and others got into the Haitian Creole list of vocabulary.

      Mèsi :)

      Delete