Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, June 14, 2013

One of the definition for 'kouri' is 'to approach' - can you explain how that is? I've tried writing sentences and they don't quite make sense. Mwen kouri nan magazen an--I'm approaching the store?

If you mean I am running towards the store - I'm approaching the store - It makes sense
Unless you're talking about KOURI SOU which mean APPROACHING - running towards, moving towards, drawing near
You can say:
1.
Fanm nan ap kouri sou karantan e l poko vle marye.
The woman is approaching forty and she doesn't want to get married.

2.
M'ap kouri sou de jou depi m pa manje.
I approaching two days since I ate last.
It's been almost two days since I ate.

3.
N'ap kouri sou katrèdtan depi n'ap travay san yon ti kanpo.  An nou fè yon ti poze.
We're approaching fours hours working with a break.  Let's rest a little bit.

4.
Depi konbyen tan remèd ou fini?  M'ap kouri sou de semèn depi l fini.
How long ago did your medication run out?  It's been almost two weeks.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment